Public Sector Research
Needs Assessment, Citizen Satisfaction Surveys, & Program Evaluation
The Florida Survey Research Center (FSRC) has extensive experience conducting public sector research, including needs assessments, citizen satisfaction surveys, and program evaluations. The FSRC can help local governments, departments, and related organizations evaluate the services they provide, conduct community needs assessments, and/or assess the attitudes of citizens and policy-makers regarding new or existing services.
The FSRC has implemented a variety of studies for various city, county, and state entities. Past clients include the State of Florida; Alachua, Bradford, Hernando, Hillsborough, Indian River, Jackson, Lee, Marion, Palm Beach, Pinellas, and Sarasota Counties, Florida; the cities of Clearwater, Deltona, Gainesville, St. Petersburg, and Palm Coast, Florida; and government-based organizations such as the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office, Florida Department of Community Affairs, Palm Beach County School District, Clearwater Office of Aging, Southwest Florida Water Management District, Gainesville Regional Utilities, Ft. Peirce Utilities Authority, and South Florida Regional Transit Authority among others.
- Some of these research projects are summarized below:
- A countywide study of recreational needs and facilities
- Several countywide studies of local tourism
- A countywide study of affordable housing needs, including neighborhood specific examinations of existing affordable housing and citizen attitudes on housing
- Several countywide studies of citizen perceptions of, and satisfaction with, county services
- Several countywide and city-based studies of citizen attitudes about business growth and employment, including specific surveys of business-owners’ attitudes and perceptions
- A citywide study of citizens’ awareness of laws and regulations related to housing
- A study of city residents age 60 and older about aging issues in the city
- A regional study of citizen water usage
- A study of citizens employed in a city regarding their housing needs
- A study of citizen perceptions of law enforcement and support for initiating community policing
- Several studies of program participants about levels of satisfaction with services received
- Several citywide satisfaction surveys of utilities customers, both residential and commercial
- A regional study of use of, and perceptions of, public transportation
The FSRC can implement surveys of a variety of groups – citizens (nationwide, statewide, countywide, citywide, or in specific regions or neighborhoods), residents, special populations, program participants – and/or provide comprehensive assessments of needs in specified service areas. We can gather information through telephone surveys, mail surveys, focus groups, intercept and in-person surveys, or internet surveys.